Easy anonymous file sharing using I2P technology
MuWire is a file sharing program inspired by LimeWire but completely anonymous. It uses I2P for all communication thus keeping your IP address private. You can share, search and download files of any type without relying on a centralized tracker like BitTorrent.
MuWire is completely free and open source. There are no bundled ads or offers of any kind, and it does not solicit donations.
|Windows||MuWire-0.4.11.exe||Install MuWire and double-click on the MuWire icon.||sig|
|Mac||MuWire-0.4.11.zip||Unzip the .zip file and double-click on the application inside||sig|
|Linux||MuWire-0.4.11.jar||Open a terminal and type "java -jar MuWire-0.4.11.jar"||sig|
GPG Fingerprint 471B 9FD4 5517 A5ED 101F C57D A728 3207 2D52 5E41 Key available here
Be aware that the first time you start MuWire it could take a few minutes to load.
On Windows and Mac MuWire comes with an I2P router and does not need Java to be installed. On Linux MuWire needs Java 8 or newer and an I2P router to run.
The first time you run MuWire it will ask you to choose a nickname. That nickname is combined with a cryptographically strong I2P address and forms your unique identity on MuWire. Other users can choose to trust you and verify that the files you share are really shared by you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is MuWire slow?
- Too few sources you are downloading from
- You can increase the number of tunnels in Options->I2P
- Make sure your I2P router is well integrated in the network
My search is not returning (enough) results
- Search is based on keywords or file hash
- Keywords and hashes are NOT regexed or wildcarded so they have to be complete
- All keywords have to match for a result to be returned
- Use only space between keywords
- If you already have the file any results for it are not displayed by default. This can be changed in the GUI options
What is this right-click and “Copy hash to clipboard”
- If you have a specific file you wish to share or download you can use the hash as an unique identifier to make sure you are downloading the right file
- You can share this hash with others to ensure they are getting the right file
What is Trust and how does it work
- In MuWire you can choose to trust or distrust other MuWire users. When you trust someone search results from them are marked as TRUSTED so you know they shared the file in question. If you mark someone as DISTRUSTED you will no longer see any search results from them and they will not be able to connect to you.
- In the MuWire options you can choose to allow only trusted connections. If you enable that option your MuWire node will only connect to the nodes of users that you have marked TRUSTED. Keep in mind that you haven’t marked anyone as TRUSTED you will not be able to connect to anyone!
- You can subscribe to the users you trust and see who they trust in turn.
Be careful who you trust in an anonymous network! It is recommended to first download a file from someone and verify the file is genuine before trusting them.